Monday, July 28, 2014

Essay #6- An Unforgettable Experience (Narrative)

           It was a mundane and gloomy day. The sky was overcast and seems to be somber like my troubled soul. This is due to the death of my ginger cat, Perry. It died recently because of skin disease. I was totally grief-stricken by this disappointing news. I then walked my way towards the bus stop. As I was reminiscing about how we used to spend our time together, there before me stood a thin and destitute looking old woman of about the age of mid 70’s . Her clothes were covered with dirt and food stains. She had such a distraught face that I was obliged to start a conversation with her. I started off by saying, “maam, have you had your lunch?” She answered in a soft but vivid voice “No”. Without wasting another moment, I offered her my lunch box. Her eyes glittered at the sight of the tuna sandwiches and mango pudding my mum packed so neatly for me. Without uttering a single word, she took the lunch box from my grasp. However, she replied a low-pitch “thank you” after devouring the meal.

            The very next day, I showed up early just to see if the old woman was there. Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be found. After ten minutes, she made her way tot eh bus stop limping. I was suddenly filled with compassion for this old soul. After giving her my lunch, I made up my mind to know more about her. I began by asking, “Do you have children?” she replied, again a short “no”. The next question was “Do you have a husband?” She said “I used to have. He died in World War 2.” I replied by saying, “I am sorry to hear that.” After that, we chatted about our families. Soon, it was time to go home. We departed and went our separate ways after bidding farewell to one another.

            It soon became a daily routine to bring food for her. Oh, what a wonderful time we had every day. One fine day, she was not to be seen anywhere. I said to myself, “maybe she is a little bit late, that’s all. I will wait for her a little while.” An hour passed. Still, she was nowhere to be found. I headed back home feeling anxious and heavy hearted. Days passed, months passed. There was still no sign of her at the bus stop. I never failed to go to that fateful place each day of my life. One fine day, as I was making my way to the bus stop, I overheard a lady saying that the old woman had passed away due to cancer. I was in such low-spirit that I barely had the strength to walk. God only knows the pain I felt at that time. I walked home shedding tears that could possibly flood the whole earth.

            Years passed and I soon graduated from a law school in England. Until now, I am still thinking about the old woman whom I adore and care so much. I made a short prayer to God, I know that she is up there with You. Please take good care of her.” After two years, I have become a blooming lawyer and I own one of the most reputable law firm in the country. After a tired day at work, I received a phone call saying that an old woman has left me with her restaurant. As I made my way to the restaurant, there was a letter lying on the table saying that I am the lawful owner of it. I cried and was touched by this news.

            Now, I am happily married with two lovely children of mine. I always tell them about the story of an old woman and a young girl talking and sharing segments of their life together. Till this day, I take the trouble to sit at the bus stop before heading back home. Mother Teresa once quoted, “It’s not how much we give nut how much love we put in giving.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment